DESCRIPTION:The Village of Glen Ellyn is seeking qualified candidates to fill a full-time Permit Clerk position to provide day-to-day administrative support to the Planning & Development Department for building permit and code enforcement matters. Under the direction of the Building and Zoning Official, this position provides excellent customer service to the public, government agencies and Village departments regarding the application of Village building & zoning codes and issuance of building permits for residential and commercial projects. The full-time Permit Clerk also supervises part-time, seasonal, and temporary permit clerks as assigned. In addition to typing, filing and scheduling, this position will perform related office duties, including record keeping, and assisting with a variety of special projects.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of part-time, temporary, and seasonal Permit Clerks.
- Verify completion of permit application; distribute submittal documents to internal and external Village departments and consultants for review; track status of reviews and required submittals; issue permits.
- Review and issue basic over-the-counter permit applications (examples include but are not limited to water heater installations, re-roofing, fences, sheds, and other simple permits).
- Process applications for contractor registration and update contractor information into permit tracking software (MUNIS).
- Calculate permit fees and required deposits, process payments.
- Manage, respond to and/or re-direct incoming telephone calls to appropriate staff members.
- Answer homeowner and business owner questions over the telephone and at the counter about Village codes and regulations; building processes; inspection requirements; and code enforcement.
- Process restoration deposit refunds and close projects by updating all tracking records and files.
- Prepare closed project files for scanning.
- Schedule inspections.
- Research and respond to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- Follow up with customers on expired permits and occupancies to issue extensions and charge fees.
- Maintain log of elevator inspections.
- Maintain building permit paper files and electronic files (MUNIS).
- Maintain accurate records; determine status and next steps on projects.
- Compile, calculate and prepare monthly department reports that summarize Planning & Development activities, prepare Milton Township Permit Reports, and US Census Reports.
- Prepare ad hoc reports on department activities as requested.
- Cooperatively work with other Village departments on permit related issues.
- Coordinate with Village’s consultants to process permit applications as necessary.
- Accept citizen inquires and complaints and forward to departmental staff as appropriate.
- Qualified candidates must possess a completed Associate’s degree, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in a public building department permit review and processing setting or similar setting.
- Permit Technician certification through the International Code Council required, or received within one (1) year of date of hire.
- Prior customer service and supervisory experience required.
- Prior experience with MUNIS building permit software or equivalent is a plus.
- Must also be able to effectively manage one’s time, solve problems and exercise sound judgment in a multi-tasking environment.
- Must be detail oriented and exercise considerable independent judgment in making determinations on various important problems, which do not involve deviations from established policies and procedures.
- Applicants will be required to interpret and apply Village policies and procedures, written instructions, and general correspondence; must demonstrate the ability to complete assignments accurately and within established deadlines.
The Village is seeking qualified candidates who effectively demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with tact and professionalism in a fast-paced workplace. Qualified applicants will also possess excellent typing skills and be proficient in personal computer skills and programs including Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Windows-based programs. The position also requires individuals capable of completing basic mathematical calculations.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
SALARY/BENEFITS: The pay offered for this full-time, non-exempt position is $22.11/hr to $33.64/hr (Pay Grade: F). Anticipated starting pay is +/- $25.00/hr. Actual starting pay is negotiable, and will be dependent upon qualifications, experience, and professional achievement. Position includes full benefits, as well as participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) a defined benefit retirement pension plan.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Hard copies (faxed, mailed, or hand-delivered) of resumes will be declined.
- Applicants must indicate (Job ID: #34-17 – Full-Time Permit Clerk) in the subject line of their e-mail.
- The selected finalist will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check, reference check, and post offer medical physical with a drug screening.
- The position is open until filled; however, first review of resumes will begin on January 26, 2018. Candidates requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact Human Resources at 630-469-5000.