The Glenbard Wastewater Authority (GWA) is currently recruiting for one (1) part-time, entry-level Plant Operator/Laborer position. This is a semi-skilled position responsible for preventative maintenance of a wastewater treatment facility.
- Assist with operating wastewater treatment equipment and associated components.
- Be self-motivated and to be able to work alone on assigned laborious projects such as painting, organizing, hosing of tanks and miscellaneous housekeeping activities.
- Operate gates, valves, pumps and other operating equipment either manually or automatically.
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks and activities.
- Become familiar with locating sources of trouble and report malfunctions and potential remedies to the Operations Superintendent.
- Works to effectively solve any conflicts discovered.
Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent; knowledge of wastewater treatment processes a plus, but not required. Successful candidates will possess a general knowledge of mechanical equipment, and demonstrate the ability to effectively interpret and carry out a variety of instructions related to wastewater plant maintenance and operation. Must also have a valid driver’s license at the time of application, and be able to perform mathematical calculations; the ability to comprehend, retain, and apply the Authority’s rules and procedure manuals, including any pertinent Federal, State, or local laws is a required skill set; must also be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Proficiency in using computer systems for monitoring is a plus.
The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, some heavy lifting and/or moving, grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus. Must be willing to work in malodorous, nauseating and dangerous work conditions. Work of a part-time Operator is both indoors and outdoors, during all seasons.
Work schedule: weekends, holidays, or outside of normal business hours; up to twenty (20) hours per week with flexible schedule from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm.
The starting base pay offered for this position is $20.04/hr with no fringe benefits. This position is non-exempt under FLSA.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard copies (faxed, mailed, hand-delivered) of resumes will be declined.
- Applicants must indicate (Job ID: #20-18-GWA PT Plant Operator) in the subject line of their e-mail.
- The selected finalist will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check, reference check, and a post-offer medical physical with a drug and alcohol screen.
The Authority is accepting applications until August 31, 2018 at 4:00 pm. Candidates requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact Human Resources at 630-469-5000.
THE GLENBARD WASTEWATER AUTHORITY IS
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER